Thursday, May 04, 2006

April 29th Livingstones Network Meeting

Every Livingstones network gathering is a time for bonding, having fun and getting a fresh touch from the Holy spirit!
"Forgetting what is behind and striving toward what is ahead. I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." - Phillipians 3:13

Worship started off with this verse being shared which reaffirmed what God spoke to me earlier this week. I used to strive really hard to achieve in secondary school and even one of my close friend called me an "over-achiever". When I came to JC, I guess it was probably due to the overwhelming number of activities I had which made me decide to take a break and not join so many activites. I thought that I could enjoy school just as much even when I am not as involved as in the past. However, things didn't go very well after I got "a break". I began to feel an emptiness within and sometimes, even inferiority.

I tried to ignore this feeling for a long time but it just got worse each time I thought about it. I did not share this with anyone because I did not see a need to and I thought that I could just ignore it. The burden got even heavier and finally, I decided to bring this issue to God. I didn't really know what to pray about but I knew that God knows how I felt. I was prompted to read Ecclesiastes and God told me to read the Chinese Bible study guide I found at home as well.

Here are some translations from the study guide: Although the book might seem pessimisstic and despairing at first, yet he (Soloman) did not end negatively. He stated clearly that whoever believes in God will have hope. The phrase "Everything is meaningless" is actually for those who do not know God. In chapter 12, Soloman calls out to us to remember our Creator in the days of our youth, because decisions made in those days will affect our future. "Remember our Creator" too is for men to know that we are not our own creator! Without God, everything is meaningless! There is practically nothing under the sun which can give us real happiness forever, not even achievements or wealth! Only a life which fears God can be filled with joy and God's plan is for all men who fear Him to be full of joy! (Ecc 2:24-26, 3:10-15, 5:18-20, 9:7-10)

Even though we often strive so hard just to store up our earthly treasures, achievements and wealth, yet ended up being so bitter and painful, what good does it bring? I thank God that I can have real joy because I have Him in my life. I promised God that I will continue to strive towards what is ahead, build His Kingdom and store up more heavenly treasures!

And even from pastor's teachings, I learnt so much about the interlinked relationship of faith, hope and love and that it is necessary for all three to come together. God responds to faith and not needs! Just like how Jesus constantly sees the faith of the people in the gospel. I thank God for His goodness and His reassurance. Finally, I thank God for this family and for who He is.

Written by:
Lijuan
Meijin's cell

2 Comments:

At May 04, 2006 2:12 AM, Blogger SyLvIe said...

Amen!! u have ur "livingstones" sisters with u always!!

 
At May 04, 2006 6:36 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Bless you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home