Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Hidden Treasure, Searching Moments

This article should have been posted very much earlier. However I would still like to thank God and share my experience of doing this SOL 3 project. You may think: WHAT? There is a project for School of Leaders (SOL) 3? Bingo, you’ve guessed right the first time! However, I am not sure if this will continue for the subsequent cycles of SOL 3. It may seem intimidating which is exactly what I felt when I initially enrolled for it. However, I want to reassure you people out there that it can be very fun and challenging! I’ve really enjoyed myself.

Thank God I had Joy and Priscilla to accompany me to SOL3. However, we were too small a group to form a team but we had the privilege of having three more friends from Pastor Adrian’s and Pastor Lily’s tribe to join us. It was an amazing experience for me to be able to work with people from other tribes as I must admit that my social circle in church has always been confined to Livingstones. This actually helped me to feel that Youthnet is indeed a family. The whole experience was tiring and stressful at times but enriching and enjoyable. I shall spare you all the details of preparation for the event but here are some things that I’ve learnt from my experience:

1) Pray More, Plan Less (quite a similar experience with the FIG Camp) – sometimes we get too engrossed with the details that we forget to pray. Ultimately, the focus of the event is God. We actually decided to cut down on the planning and spend more time praying together - -and it helps!

2) Ask And It Shall Be Given – For our event, we managed to get free Newater (it is free by the way, just give a call). One of our members has past experiences in organising events such as this, therefore we tapped into our resources and found a sponsor willing to print the certificates of participation, even with good quality paper. Finally, there was a company which sponsored the chocolate rolls (which alas, came after the event).

3) God’s Plans Deserve Our Utmost Amazement – We planned for 120 participants and with such numbers, we initially wanted to book a place in the community centre. To our disappointment, the response was worse than expected. There were only 2 teams of visitors. So in total we were able to create 6 teams in all with the help of some of the game masters who became participants. Thus, we decided to settle in a pavilion among the HDB blocks. To our surprise, this drastic change led to salvation for two kids from the neighbourhood! It was really unexpected! So be prepared for the unexpected, for if we did not grab hold of that opportunity to share Christ with the two kids, they might never have heard the Gospel. God works wonders regardless of our circumstances!

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Quan Wei, Jun Ming, Kenneth Tan, Jonathan Pang and not forgetting Christine Song for helping us as game masters (although some ultimately became participants).


Subsequently, special thanks to Pamelia, Li Juan, Samantha, Amanda and Zhenchang for participating and also for their patience despite the reshuffling that took place. Also, thanks to Jas (my new kid) who formed a team with her school friends. Your presence really made a difference!

I have found love in this family, thanks to my spiritual mum and dad and finally, a big thank you to all my G12 sisters and brothers for your prayers!

I just want to end off by encouraging you to be excited with what God has in store for you even while going through the Ladder of Success. Hidden treasure, searching moments. Have you found it yet?

Written by:
Vivien Po
Pastor Fei Fei’s 12

3 Comments:

At April 12, 2006 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haix...go to SOL 3...stlill long ahead...nid another 4 to 5 years more...BUT...first complete encounter...tok so many crap also no use...-.-

 
At April 14, 2006 12:18 AM, Blogger Pam said...

hey viv, i'm sure all of us enjoyed ourselves very much too :)

 
At April 14, 2006 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are welcome, vivien. i had fun with the other group too.. but i still want chocolate rolls.. hee..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home