Friday, February 24, 2006

Jocelyn Tay's Baptism

Hi, I’m Jocelyn, currently studying in Temasek Poly. I have been looking forward to my baptism today and may my simple sharing of God’s reality in my life encourage you.

When I was 13, I was just like any other secondary school student leading a superficial life. I got to know Pastor Lawrence, a counselor at my school and Karen when I hung around in the pastoral care room. I knew nothing about Christianity until Karen invited me to her church, where I got to meet Meijin (my existing cell group leader) and my cell members. Coming from a family of free-thinkers, I didn’t really believe in God, I believed only in myself. I felt obligated each time I went to church. Soon after, other commitments were piling up and I stopped going to church because it was not one of my priorities.

The following year, when I was in Secondary 2, Pastor Lawrence led me to accept Christ and I was so glad I did! However, the excitement of being a Christian did not last for long as for the next few years, I carried on with my “God-less” life which of course, was not smooth-sailing. When I met with a setback, I would indulge in self-pity or vent my anger on someone. There wasn’t anyone I could turn to, and sometimes I really felt that life was totally meaningless.

When I went to poly, I had classmates who were Christians and they often talked about church and the gospel, and somehow I just felt like going to church again, though I was worried if people would question my faith, and whether I was welcomed back again. But I guess God really makes everything beautiful in His time and He still welcomes me. Thank God.

Last year, around June or July, I rededicated my life to the Lord during one of the service at TCT. Praise God for that!I began to attend church every week, with faith and anticipation to listen to God’s word. I prayed every night and it was so miraculously that my prayers would always be answered. Not only that, God has given me a chance to bond with my cell members. I can get along well with everyone so quickly. I recognize that my cellgroup is a place I can grow, a place where I can be a blessing to the people around me.

Since then, God has made many wonderful changes in my life. My life was no longer empty, because His love for me has filled it. And He gave me wisdom in making decisions and He blessed every friendship I had. And most importantly, because of Him, my parents understand the need for me to go church and even gave me their blessings for my baptism! I thank God too that they are here to witness this significant moment in my life today.

After encounter camp, I was convicted to be baptized, as it is a commandment of God. However, I was bugged with the fear of my parents disagreeing. So with me being here today, it’s a testimony of the Lord’s faithfulness that He hears our prayers!

Everything in life has been just so wonderful with God that I will appreciate every day because it is a gift from God. I’m filled with so much faith and hope as I know the Lord is with me. He has taught me that though we live in this world, we should not be OF the world, and do things that do not glorify his Name.

As I get baptized today with my sins washed away, I thank God for all the wonderful things that have happened to me in such a short period of time. I must be truly blessed to be able to receive the many gifts of the Lord. I would like to thank my cell, Meijin, Karen, Pastor Lawrence and Pastor Fei Fei for supporting me through my spiritual walk with God and most importantly, I thank the awesome Lord who is with us.

Written by: Jocelyn Tay, Meijin's 12

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home